Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Apr 10 at 18:00 PM


Wanderers were twice pegged back by promotion chasers Swindon Town in an exhilarating contest at Adams Park.

Matt Bloomfield had given the Blues a deserved lead at half-time but the Robins equalised two minutes into the second period through Billy Paynter.

Then Alex Revell continued his fine form in front of goal by nodding in at the back post after previously seeing his penalty kick saved by keeper David Lucas.

However, the Blues' joy was short lived as Alan Sheehan equalised a second time for Danny Wilson's side to earn a share of the spoils.

Blues' boss Gary Waddock kept faith with the same side that secured the dramatic derby day victory over MK Dons in the last outing, and his side took to the pitch full of confidence following a run of three crucial wins which had breathed new life into the battle to beat the drop.

That confidence was echoed by the Adams Park faithful as both teams entered the field to a cacophony of noise.

The opening exchanges provided little in the way of goal-mouth action as both teams looked to settle into the game. Jon-Paul Pittman was the first to threaten after 18 minutes but he flashed a left-footed drive past the right-hand upright of Swindon's goal.

At the other end, Jonathan Douglas had the away side's first effort but, like Pittman, his effort went wide after taking a deflection.

Despite plenty of good football on show, it wasn't until the 40 minute mark that either keeper was forced into a save. Craig Woodman's corner was only partially cleared to the edge of the box where Lewis Montrose controlled before sending a dipping volley goalwards which had to watched carefully by Lucas.

Then in added time Matt Bloomfield sent the Adams Park faithful into delirium. 'Blooms' raced onto a through ball from fellow midfielder Lewis Montrose, evaded the challenges of two Swindon defenders before rifling a fierce shot past Lucas to put the Blues 1-0 ahead at the break.

Kevin Betsy nearly doubled Wycombe's lead moments after the interval but his delicate chip clipped the top of Swindon's crossbar.

And Danny Wilson's men drew level two minutes later when Billy Paynter powered home Jon-Paul McGovern's cross from the right.

Swindon's tails were up and Charlie Austin headed over from a Paynter cross before Gareth Ainsworth raced clear only to shoot straight at Lucas.

Ainsworth threatened again moments later, forcing a fine finger-tip save from Lucas after cutting in from the left touchline and unleashing a fierce shot that was bound for the top corner.

Wycombe were handed a lifeline on 73 minutes when Betsy was up-ended in the box by Jon-Paul McGovern, a challenge which left referee Attwell no option but to point to the penalty spot.

Revell stepped up but was denied by Lucas only for Ainsworth loft the ball back in for the grateful striker to nod home his fifth goal in three games.

However, on 80 minutes the Robins pegged the Blues back for a second time. McGovern pounced on a loose pass before slotting a nice through ball down the inside left channel to Alan Sheehan, who placed a smart finish in the bottom right-hand corner of Heaton's net.

Austin nearly made it 3-2 when he made a good run into the Blues' box only to see his drive superbly blocked by John Mousinho.

Revell was then presented with a golden chance to regain the home side's lead after Jonathan Douglas had lost possession but the midfielder battled back to thwart the striker just as he was about to pull the trigger.

Both sides pushed forward for a winner although neither could convert what surely would have been the decisive goal.

The best opportunity fell to the Betsy deep into stoppage-time, but the midfielder guided his effort straight into the arms of Lucas before Phillips curled a free-kick over the bar.

By Gary Anderson

    Latest Match Reports