Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Mar 10 at 17:06 PM


Wanderers secured another crucial point in their battle to avoid the drop at Adams Park against a dogged Carlisle United side.

In what was a hard fought game, there was little in the way of attacking football on show as both sides cancelled each other out. Jon-Paul Pittman had the Blues' first chance inside 15 minutes but his shot was deflected into the arms of Adam Collin after a nice through ball from Kevin McLeod. At the other end, Adam Clayton fired into the side netting when well placed after being fed by Scott Dobie.

A goal-line clearance then saved Carlisle and denied Alan Bennett his first goal for Wycombe from a Dean Keates corner just prior to half-time, before John Mousinho headed the return ball into the box inches past the right-hand post.  Further strikes from Mousinho and Matt Phillips were the closest the home side came to breaking the deadlock during the second half, while the Blues' defence - led by new captain Adam Hinshelwood - was rarely troubled by the visitors. Blues boss Gary Waddock made three changes from the defeat at Stockport last Saturday. Matt Phillips, following his two goal salvo at Edgeley Park, came into the starting line-up alongside Matt Harrold and Adam Hinshelwood, replacing Chris Westwood, Alex Revell and Kevin Betsy.  In bright spring sunshine, the opening exchanges were scrappy with both sides adapting to the difficult playing surface. On eight minutes Kevin McLeod had the home side's first sight at goal with a speculative effort from 25 yards, but his low effort didn't trouble Collin in the Carlisle goal.

Pittman was next to threaten the visitors' goal, after been found by McLeod, but the striker saw his effort blocked by Carlisle skipper Danny Livesey and loop up into the arms of Collin. Carlisle created their first opportunity on 23 minutes. The ball broke to Clayton in the Blues' area but he fired his effort into the side netting from only 12 yards out.

On 31 minutes Carlisle had another chance to threaten the home side's goal. The referee awarded a free-kick ten yards outside the area and up stepped Ian Harte to flash a curling effort just past the right hand upright. At this stage of the game it appeared that the only way a goal was going to come was from a set-piece as neither side were creating anything from open play. And it was from a corner kick that the Blues nearly took the lead. Dean Keates whipped the ball into the box where Alan Bennett met the ball with a firm header only for the visiting keeper to make a smart save on the line. The ball was only partially cleared by the Carlisle defence, and was whipped in again this time to be met by the head of John Mousinho, whose glancing effort went the wrong side of the post. As the referee blew for half-time, Blues boss Waddock would have been pleased with the effort and commitment shown by his players. Perhaps the Chairboys missed the spark that the suspended Gareth Ainsworth might have provided. Instead, the winger was making himself known in the Greene King Stand, mixing with the home supporters.

The second period started in the same vein as the first, with neither side able to string many attacking moves together. Waddock tried to change things when he introduced Stuart Beavon on 68 minutes for Kevin McLeod and pushed the speedy Pittman out to the left wing in an effort to get in behind the Carlisle defence. Matt Phillips had a half-chance on 74 minutes meeting a cross from the left with a header that cleared Collin's crossbar. Alex Revell replaced Pittman on 81 minutes with Wanderers enjoying the majority of the possession, but they were still finding it difficult to create anything substantial in the way of chances.

After some good work down the right by substitute Beavon, John Mousinho had an effort from the edge of the area that flashed wide before Matt Phillips dragged his shot past the left-hand post after a mazy run from the left touchline. That proved to be the last action of the game, as the referee called time on what was a committed performance by the Chairboys.

    Latest Match Reports