Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Feb 10 at 16:59 PM


Wanderers earned a well-deserved point against Brentford at Griffin Park on Saturday as they answered manager Gary Waddock's plea to respond positively to last week's defeat to Yeovil Town.

The Blues bossed the first half and it was no surprise when they opened the scoring on 27 minutes, as Kevin Betsy converted a cross from debutant Kevin McLeod to give the strong travelling support hope of a second successive away victory.

Goalkeeper Tom Heaton was largely untroubled in his first match for the Wanderers after joining on loan from Manchester United on Friday, but he was beaten on 75 minutes when Myles Weston latched on to a flick-on from Carl Cort and fired home to level the scores.

Wycombe pressed for the winner, and Alex Revell saw an effort cleared off the line by Sam Wood, but they were forced to settle for the point on a day when Oldham Athletic were the only side in the bottom half of the table to record a victory.

Gary Waddock made four changes from Saturday's 4-1 home defeat at the hands of Yeovil Town. New signing Tom Heaton, Lewis Hunt, Luke Oliver and Kevin McLeod replaced Scott Shearer, the injured Adam Hinshelwood, Josh Payne and Stuart Beavon.

Wanderers settled quickly into their fluid passing style but it was Brentford who had the first chance of the afternoon on three minutes. Myles Weston latched onto Danny Foster's through ball and flashed an effort just wide of Heaton's left post.

Then former Chairboy John Akinde over ran the ball after he capitalised on a moment's hesitation from Heaton.

At the other end, Matt Harrold and Alex Revell were causing problems and the latter went close to giving the Blues the lead when he nearly profited on some indecision between Wojciech Szczesny and the Bees' centre-halves but he pushed the ball too far and out for a goal-kick.

Revell was at it again minutes later but his fizzing cross just eluded his strike partner Harrold in the six-yard box.

However, the dominance finally paid off on 26 minutes when fans favourite Kevin Betsy put the Blues ahead. Revell's nice turn and lay-off set the impressive Kevin McLeod down the left; he made good ground and picked out Betsy on the edge of Brentford's box with a pinpoint cross.

Betsy steadied himself and coolly slotted his effort into the bottom left-hand corner. 1-0 Wycombe.

Despite dominating proceedings, Waddock's men were lucky to be ahead on the half hour after Ryan Dickson fired over from only six-yards out following John Akinde's powerful run and cross from the left.

The all-action Betsy then forced Szczesny into a good save from long distance before ex-Bee John Mousinho dragged an effort wide of the target from 20 yards.

Wanderers' first half dominance forced Andy Scott into a change at half-time, Lionel Ainsworth replacing the ineffective Sam Saunders on the right-hand side of midfield. However, that didn't deter the Blues and they probably should have been 2-0 up only two minutes into the second half.

A neat McLeod pass found Luke Oliver free in the Bees box but, with a clear shot on goal, the centre-back snatched at the effort and the chance went begging.

Tireless work from Matt Harrold brought about the next opportunity for the visitors. He chased down a lost cause and Szczesny, who is on loan from Arsenal, sliced his clearance straight to Betsy who could only fire into the side-netting.

The Blues were in total control with Brentford having only threatened twice in the second half - a long-range Lionel Ainsworth volley and a weak Charlie MacDonald shot which went straight into the arms of Heaton.

So Weston's 75th minute leveller was a hard one to take for the 888 travelling Wanderers fans. Former Wycombe trialist Carl Cort headed into the path of MacDonald, who found Weston on the corner of the Wycombe box and, with no pressure on the Bees' no.11, he fired a shot into bottom right-hand corner of Heaton's net.

Wycombe rallied again and Revell nearly stole the points five minutes later. The striker nipped in front of a hesitant Szczesny and Tommy Smith before sending an effort goalwards only to see left-back Sam Wood get back to clear his shot off the line.

    Latest Match Reports