Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 09 at 17:37 PM


Wanderers collected their third win in four games on Saturday afternoon thanks to a 2-1 victory over Stockport County at Adams Park.

Late goals from Chris Westwood and Scott Davies completed the turnaround in the basement clash at Adams Park, after Carl Baker had given the Hatters the lead just after the hour mark.

Gary Waddock's men controlled large spells of the game and were unlucky to not be ahead before Baker finished off a Stockport counter-attack in superb style from the edge of the Blues' 18-yard box.

The Chairboys, buoyed by the Adams Park faithful, responded on 74 minutes when Westwood powered a header past Owain Fon Williams from a Davies corner, before the Reading loanee's deflected effort flew in 10 minutes later to seal the win.

Gary Waddock made four changes from Tuesday's 1-0 defeat to Southampton. Westwood, Matt Phillips, Davies and John Akinde all came in, Ian Westlake and Michael Duberry dropped to the bench, while Tommy Doherty (twisted ankle) and Stuart Beavon (ill) missed out.

Blues began in an attacking frame of mind, taking the game to their north-west opponents, and Scott Davies recorded the first chance on four minutes. Phillips beat Michael Rose down the right and his cross looped into the path of Davies, whose volley was deflected narrowly wide of Williams' goal.

Two minutes later, Greg Tansey racked up Stockport's first attempt on goal from 20 yards, while at the other end the lively Phillips drilled a low drive past the left post.

Another flowing move saw the 18-year-old winger's latest effort blocked by John Mullins before the onrushing Scott Davies headed the rebound into Williams' arms.

The pressure continued and both Akinde and Phillips shot narrowly wide within a two-minute spell, prior to Nicholas Bignall's dangerous ball across the Wanderers' six-yard box having to be dealt with by Craig Woodman at the back post.

Phillips, who continued to torment Rose down the right, then fed Davies, but, after a magnificent touch, he fired a foot over the bar.

Man-of-the-match Akinde then drove at the Stockport defence, nutmegging Rose in the process, and it needed an important block from a Hatters defender to deny the on-loan Bristol City forward's effort testing Williams.

At the other end, Stockport midfielder James Vincent headed a precise Bignall cross wide of the target when only eight yards out.

Akinde was once again involved two minutes later, side-footing Phillips' cross wide of Williams' left-hand post, before the provider flashed a shot over the Stockport goal after a nicely worked free-kick.

The beginning of the second half saw the Blues resume dominance and force Williams into five saves within 10 minutes.

First came two chances in a matter of minutes for Akinde. Firstly, he headed at Williams after connecting well with a teasing Matt Phillips delivery before he forced the Hatters keeper into a smart save down to his left following a rampaging run.

John Mousinho, who began to push forward in the second half, then brought the best from Williams courtesy of a stinging 20-yard drive, but the rebound couldn't be turned in by the lurking Matt Harrold or Akinde.

Wanderers then produced their best move of the match just prior to the hour mark. Davies' 50-yard cross-field pass found Phillips, the youngster slid the ball across the six-yard box but it just eluded Harrold at the back post.

But for all the home side's pressure and dominance they found themselves behind on 64 minutes when a nicely crafted counter-attack was wonderfully finished off by Carl Baker. The Hatters midfielder was found after some great work by Bignall, he turned onto his left foot just outside the penalty area and then curled a stunning effort past Shearer into the top left-hand corner.

However, the Blues battled back and got what their dominance deserved ten minutes later, when Scott Davies' corner was powered into the bottom right-hand corner by the head of Chris Westwood. The goal sparked crazy celebrations in front of the Greene King IPA Terrace, but Waddock's men weren't finished there.

And the winner came courtesy of the man who had created the equaliser. Davies was fed by Akinde 25 yards from the goal; he steadied himself and then sent a stinging shot, which deflected off a Stockport defender, past the despairing Owain Fon Williams.

Wycombe should have made it 3-1 in the dying seconds when substitute Jon-Paul Pittman broke away but his ball across the box just eluded Davies.

    Latest Match Reports