Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Oct 09 at 16:59 PM


Barry Corr's stoppage time header denied Gary Waddock a first victory in charge of the Wanderers as Exeter City came from behind to earn a point at St James' Park.

Matt Harrold's first-half penalty looked to have secured a first away win of the campaign for Wycombe Wanderers to lift Gary Waddock's men away from the bottom of the table, but Corr found the net late on to break the hearts of the visitors.

A professional display from the spirited Blues, combined with a series of excellent saves from keeper Scott Shearer, seemed to have deserved the points, and Harrold's spot-kick after Kevin Betsy was fouled set them on their way against the fellow League One strugglers.

But Exeter refused to accept defeat and Corr headed home in the 93rd minute to deny the Blues a first clean sheet of the campaign and earn a share of the points.

Chairboys chief Gary Waddock made two changes from the side that drew 1-1 with rivals Colchester United on Saturday.

Tommy Doherty returned to the starting line-up after a three month spell on the sidelines with a hamstring injury alongside Matt Bloomfield in the centre of the midfield. They replaced Ian Westlake and Marlon Pack.

The Blues were beaten 1-0 by the Grecians in April and Waddock's men set about the task of gaining revenge from the first whistle.

And not long had passed when the Wanderers created their first chance. Scott Davies' stunning free-kick was met by Leon Johnson but the defender guided his header just wide of Andy Marriott's left-hand post.

Exeter's response was an Alex Russell free-kick on 10 minutes but in truth the early stages of game, like Russell's effort, lacked quality.

It wasn't until just after the half hour mark that either side threatened again, but right-back Lewis Hunt was on hand to clear as Exeter broke down the left through the lively Stuart Fleetwood.

Matt Phillips then forced Marriott into a stunning save from the edge of the Grecians' box after being put through by Matt Harrold, before Harrold himself saw an effort comfortably gathered by the Exeter number one after good work from Kevin Betsy and Bloomfield.

At the other end, Adam Stansfield's pull back just eluded Fleetwood and James Dunne in the Wanderers box as Exeter threatened to counter.

Waddock's men began to gain the upper hand before the interval and a classy Wanderers move brought about the opening goal on 41 minutes.

Craig Woodman's incisive pass set Betsy free down the left; he surged into the Exeter area and was cynically brought down by skipper Matt Taylor.

Matt Harrold grabbed the ball, stepped up and coolly dispatched the penalty to hand the Chairboys the advantage going into the break.

Paul Tisdale's half-time team talk seemed to finally get his side going and Exeter were the side firmly on the front foot at the beginning of the second period.

James Dunne's fizzing effort was deflected wide on 52 minutes, before Marcus Stewart's close range effort had to be expertly tipped over by Scott Shearer to keep the score at 1-0.

Former Wycombe man Scott Golbourne was impressing at left-back and it was his stunning crossfield pass that was headed just wide of Shearer's left post by Stewart from the edge of the Blues 18-yard box.

The former Ipswich man was at the heart of most of the Grecians' attacks and he had a hand in a move that set Fleetwood through just before the hour mark, only for the Shearer to come and smother the striker's effort.

The Wanderers' resolute defending had started to see Exeter's pressure begin to wane and sensing an opportunity to regain control, Waddock decided to freshen things up with a double substitution.

John Mousinho and Chris Zebroski replaced Bloomfield and Matt Phillips, while Tisdale sent on Richard Logan, Barry Corr and Neil Saunders to try and turn the game back in the hosts' favour.

However, it was the Wanderers who created the next opportunity. Scott Davies wriggled away from a couple of challenges in the midfield before seeing his stinging 20-yard drive unfortunately cannon back of Rob Edwards, when destined for Andy Marriott's goal.

After struggling to create any real chances for the past 15 minutes, Exeter came to life after the fourth official indicated a minimum of four minutes added time.

Taylor saw a close range effort magnificently saved by Shearer, only for the resulting corner to be headed home by Corr on 93 minutes. Corr had caused the Wanderers backline problems ever since entering the fray and his rose well to guide the ball into Shearer's bottom right corner.

There was time still for the home fans to see a penalty appeal waved away for an apparent foul on substitute Saunders and Corr to miss a chance at the back post after great work by Stewart.

But it finished honours even at St James' Park and, despite the home side's goal coming in injury time, a fair reflection of what was a real battle down in Devon.

    Latest Match Reports