Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Oct 09 at 17:27 PM


The Wanderers remain second from bottom in League One after a 1-0 home defeat to fellow strugglers Leyton Orient.

Former Wanderer Scott McGleish was the match winner at Adams Park as he rose highest to head Orient ahead on 77 minutes and condemn the Blues to their second loss in a week.

Peter Taylor made one change from the midweek defeat to Tranmere Rovers, replacing Jon-Paul Pittman with Matt Harrold. Stuart Beavon also returned to the bench after missing the game with a groin injury.

The visitors started on the front foot in the battle at the bottom of League One and Jason Demetriou forced Scott Shearer into a good save on three minutes, after having the ball rolled to him by on-loan Spurs man Andros Townsend on the edge of the Blues' 18-yard box.

Peter Taylor's side were finding it hard to settle and the windy conditions in Buckinghamshire were not helping either side as they both tried to play their game and play their way of out trouble.

The first opening for the Blues came on 13 minutes, but neither Chris Zebroski nor Matt Harrold were able to latch onto a Craig Woodman free-kick.

Moments later, tireless work from Kevin Betsy brought about the Chairboys' first effort on goal. The on-loan Southend midfielder charged Ben Chorley's clearance down, made 20 yards before finding Stuart Green on the edge of the O's box, whose deflected shot won a corner for the Wanderers.

Tamika Mkandawire should have put the visitors ahead on 19 minutes but after reading the flick down by fellow centre-back Chorley, the O's skipper fired straight into the arms of Shearer from eight yards.

At the other end, Zebroski was threatening to open the scoring. A sweeping move found Phillips down the left, he cut back onto his right foot and found Zebs at the back post, however, his header wasn't powerful enough and Jamie Jones was able to gather in front of the lurking Matt Harrold.

More good play from 18-year-old Phillips crafted the next chance for the hosts but, under pressure from Chorley, Harrold couldn't test Jones from eight yards.

The Blues were beginning to find their rhythm and again it was that man Marlon Pack who was pulling the strings for the Blues in the middle of the park. The O's themselves were looking dangerous on the break though, particularly down the left-hand side through Andros Townsend.

As the 30-minute mark approached the Chairboys were still looking for their first clear cut chance, although, like Tuesday against Tranmere, they were creating a series of openings.

Good work by Zebs down the right two minutes later forced Chorley into an important clearance with Harrold and Betsy waiting in the wings, but the following corner from Stuart Green was poor and allowed the O's to clear their lines and regroup.

After a scrappy five minutes, Duberry was offered the chance to hand the Blues the lead from a teasing Woodman cross but after getting up well at the back post he headed over the bar.

Two opportunities then presented themselves to the Blues in a minute but Matt Phillips' shot was deflected out for a corner and from the resulting kick Stuart Green's effort was blocked as it travelled goalwards.

The Blues were quickest out of the traps in the second half and it needed a quick reflex save from Jones to keep the score at 0-0 after Matt Harrold's header deflected of McGleish and started to roll goalwards.

At the other end, Scott Shearer was called into action to deny Scott McGleish on 51 minutes as the former Wanderers striker stole in behind Lewis Hunt.

The lively Andros Townsend then fired a shot over Shearer's crossbar five minutes later before Marlon Pack's 20-yard effort was blocked by Ben Chorley. The Adams Park faithful cried out for a handball but Mr Singh rightly waved away the protests.

Orient stepped on the gas as they pressed for the opener and McGleish should have handed the visitors the lead on 61 minutes, but somehow he guided his volley wide of Shearer's goal from six yards.

The Glaswegian keeper then pushed away Ryan Jarvis' effort from 20 yards after the former Norwich man found himself unmarked down the left, whilst for the Blues Matt Harrold fired high and wide from a Zebroski cross.

The game began to open up with both sides throwing caution to the wind and Orient's Andros Townsend will be disappointed he didn't give his side the advantage on 70 minutes. He cut inside Pack and Oliver from the right with ease but as the space opened up he couldn't test Shearer from 18 yards.

Jon-Paul Pittman was introduced in place of Chris Zebroski on 72 minutes to freshen things up in attack for the hosts and that seemed to the lift the Blues.

But five minutes later the inevitable happened. Scott McGleish stole in front of Craig Woodman to head Orient 1-0 up from 10 yards. McGleish celebrated in customary fashion with both arms aloft and his goal not only drew applause from the travelling O's fans but also from the Wanderers supporters.

Taylor showed his final card on 81 minutes when he replaced Stuart Beavon for right-back Lewis Hunt but time was slipping away and the Blues needed a spark.

That nearly arrived on 85 minutes when Matt Harrold's header had to be cleared off the line after Craig Woodman's cross was guided back into the danger area by Michael Duberry.

Taylor's men piled forward in search of an equaliser and within a spell of 30 seconds in the 89th minute Matt Harrold, Luke Oliver and Michael Duberry all had shots blocked in and around the O's 6-yard box.

The indication of three minutes added time from the 4th official gave the Blues hope but despite a barrage of balls into the visitors' box Orient held on to claim a vital three points.

    Latest Match Reports