Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Sep 09 at 17:24 PM


The Chairboys bagged their first away point of the season in a glorious afternoon at Victoria Park, but came agonisingly close to securing all three after Stuart Beavon's first goal for the club gave Peter Taylor's side a second half lead.

A new look Wycombe side featured JP Pittman and Beavon in a two pronged attack, and it paid dividends shortly after the break as the visitors took the lead in majestic fashion.

In a game at times dominated by the long ball the Chairboys produced a magnificently fluid move, with Beavon turning his marker 30-yards from goal before curling home an intricate strike to open the scores.

With the home fans starting to voice their frustration the Wanderers went from strength to strength and could even had added a second in the ensuing chaos - but it was the Monkey Hangers who would fight back to gain a point with an equaliser 13 minutes before the end.

Substitute Adam Boyd took advantage of more set-piece confusion inside the Wycombe box, poking home to grant Pool a share of the spoils.

There were three changes for Peter Taylor's side as the Blues looked to collect their first away points of the campaign, with Pittman, Beavon and Pack taking the places of Matt Harrold, Matt Phillips and Ian Westlake in a 4-4-2 formation.

The home side themselves were looking for their first points at Victoria Park this season and began in lively fashion, launching several long balls forward to apply pressure on the Wycombe defence.

James Brown and Chris Zebroski both saw early chances fail to break the deadlock but Brown should have done better in the tenth minute when Denis Behan stayed onside and cut the ball back for his strike partner, who made a mess of his effort after Luke Oliver had got a touch on the ball.

Stuart Green was the next man to test his range with a left-footed effort from 20 yards which bounced not far of the post and Jon-Paul Pittman should have opened the scoring on 27 minutes when some great work from Stuart Beavon found Pittman onside in the area, but the keeper rushed from his line and claimed the ball as the striker hesitated.

James Brown shot straight at Scott Shearer, Marlon Pack sent an effort over the top and Leon McSweeney fired past the post as both sides looked to break the deadlock with efforts from range, but clear-cut chances were few and far between in a first half where the defences were on top.

Marlon Pack was booked for an accidental foul on the corner of the box which resulted in Denis Behan's low free-kick being palmed around the corner by Shearer, and the half-time whistle ended with the game goalless.

However, the second period began with a bang, and it was the right foot of Stuart Beavon which gave the Blues the lead. A smart passing move from the Blues created space in the United half, and after flicking the ball past his marker, Beavon approached the area unchallenged before unleashing a belter from 25 yards which cannoned off the post and into the net.

It was the striker's first competitive goal for the club and truly justified his manager's faith in selecting him in the starting eleven, as the former Weymouth man continued to impress up front for the Blues.

With the home crowd starting to turn on their side, Hartlepool needed a response and they were almost level five minutes later, but were denied by a stunning reflex save by Shearer. A high cross was nodded down to the six-yard line and Ritchie Jones' close range effort was somehow kept out by the Glaswegian.

Wycombe were looking bright going forward, and Hartlepool looked to have run out of ideas despite making three subs in quick succession. However, they levelled the scores on 76 minutes when the Wanderers seemed to switch off from Neil Austin's quickly taken free-kick, with Sam Collins nodding down for Adam Boyd to slam home from 12 yards.

All of a sudden the game came to life and Wycombe introduced Kevin Betsy and Matt Phillips for Pittman and Green in an attempt to swing the match back in their favour. Beavon had a low shot saved by Scott Flinders, McSweeney was denied by Shearer and Boyd missed from close range as both sides looked for the winner, but both had to settle for a point.

Wanderers' next match is at home to Milton Keynes Dons, next Saturday at 3pm.

    Latest Match Reports